Unbelievable Coffee and Chocolate Cupcakes
Jennifer’s Cakes has teamed up with Gimoka Coffee UK, in order to promote their delicious Italian coffee brand. So, what better way to enjoy coffee, but in cake? Those incredibly rich coffee beans, mixed with chocolate create a flavour like none-other, so here is my Unbelievable Coffee and Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
Makes: 16 Cupcakes
Prep Time: 30mins
Cooking Time: 15-20mins
Ingredients for the Cupcakes:
- 200g Butter (at room temperature)
- 140g Plain Flour
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 60g Pure Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 4 Organic Free Range Eggs
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 tsp Gimoka Gran Gusto Coffee made and ready to drink mixed with 1 tbsp water
Ingredients for the Butter Cream:
- 500g Icing Sugar
- 250g Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
- 2 tsp Gimoka 100% Arabica Coffee mixed with 1 tbsp water
- Set your oven to 180°C and line a cupcake baking tray with paper cupcake liners.
- In a clean, dry bowl add your butter and beat continuously for 5 minutes, until the colour changes from a yellow colour to a pale cream colour.
- Once the colour change occurs, add in your sugar and beat again until the texture becomes light and fluffy.
- Now, add in the eggs one at a time, ensuring each egg has been totally mixed in before adding the next.
- In a separate bowl, add in the flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder and stir with a spoon.
- Now, add 1/3 of the dry flour/cocoa mixture, into the wet egg mixture.
- Mix well and once that 1/3 has been totally incorporated, add in the next 1/3. Continue this step until all of the ingredients are together.
- At this point, the cupcake batter might appear quite thick. Now, is the time to add in the Gimoka Instant 100% Arabica Coffee (mixed with water).
- Now, your cupcake batter is ready, place it into the paper cupcake liners, until they are 2/3 full. This way, they will not rise over the top of the cupcakes liners whilst baking.
- Place your cupcakes in the oven for 15 to 20mins, or until they spring back to the touch.
- Once they are baked, remove them from the oven and leave to stand for 5 mins in their baking tray.
- After this 5 mins, remove the cupcakes from the oven and leave them to stand on a wire cooling rack until completely cold.
- Whilst your cupcakes are cooling, this will provide the perfect amount of time to create the delicious coffee butter cream.
- In a clean, dry bowl add your butter and beat continuously for 5 minutes, until the colour changes from a yellow to a pale cream colour.
- Once this colour change occurs, SPOON in your icing sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, ensuring each spoon is well mixed in by hand before the next spoon is added. If you go whole hog, then the icing sugar will most likely end up everywhere other than in the butter cream icing.
- Once all the icing sugar has been added, the butter cream will appear a little thick, now is the time to add in your pre-diluted coffee.
- Mix well and pipe your butter cream on top of your cupcakes.
- I like to add a few coffee granules over the top for decoration.
There you have it - my delicious step-by-step recipe for making unbelievable coffee and chocolate cupcakes. Hope you’ve enjoyed this recipe and if you would like to see more amazing recipes, take a look at our blog.
Author Jennifer Palmer - baking almost since birth, Jennifer was taught by her Grandmother and has been baking ever since. She set up ‘Jennifer’s Cakes’ (www.jenniferscakes.co.uk) around 6 years ago which started off as a personal blog, filled with amazing recipes, that has grown and grown over the years. She is baking on both a commercial basis as well as for family and friends, with both passion and love. As well as baking, Jennifer writes for an online scuba diving magazine and is known as the ’Scuba Diving Baker’ to her friends and family. Both baking and scuba diving are my two passions in life and if I could bring even the smallest amount of happiness to the people using my recipes, then I’ve done a great thing.